Old Dauphin Way Historic District
hds.JPG

The Old Dauphin Way District is part of the Price and Espejo tracts, large Spanish land grants of the early 1800s.

Very little development occurred in the area until 1830-1840. From then on frequent listings in Mobile city directories show residents on Spring Hill Road, Spring Hill Shell Road (now Old Shell Road), Dauphin, Common, Ann, Julia, and Lafayette Streets.

Most of the older structures in the district are simple frame cottages which originally housed carpenters, florists, bar pilots, steamboat captains, and commission merchants. Grander houses were also built and can still be seen along Dauphin Street and Spring Hill Avenue.

Some street names reflect families who settled the area. For example, Espejo Street was name for Antonio Espejo, recipient of the western land grant by the Spanish crown, and Catherine Street was named for his wife Catalina. Reed Avenue was named for W. A. Reed who lived on that street, and he later subdivided Gladys and Kenneth Streets, which were named for two of his children.

Old Dauphin Way Homes

Old Dauphin Way Churches

External Links