Carlen House

The Carlen House, 54 S. Carlen, was built in the Gulf Coast cottage style in 1843. It was the residence of Michael and Mary Carlen, Irish immigrants, and their twelve children.

Operated as a farm during the 19th century, the Mobile County School Board acquired 38 acres of the property from the Carlen family in 1923 as the site for Murphy High School. As a result, the house is now on the northern edge of the Murphy campus.

At one time, the house served as a city museum and most recently as an art studio for Murphy students. For the past several years, however, the house has been vacant. Plans for the house remain in limbo while the school board and the Murphy High School Alumni Association work out a lease acceptable to both sides.